The iconic Budweiser Clydesdales, given new life in recent years by touching Super Bowl commercials, will make their return to Fondren in March.
“We are thrilled to announce today the return of the world-famous Budweiser Clydesdales to the 5th annual Fondren’s Zippity Doo DahÂ® Weekend,” said Jim Wilkirson, Fondren Renaissance executive director. “The…majestic horses will appear in Fondren on Friday night March 27 and again on Saturday night, March 28 during the BancorpSouth Zippity Doo DahÂ® Parade.”
Wilkirson noted a recent conversation with a New Orleans friend who couldn’t believe Fondren would play host for a third time to the sought-after attraction. “To have them once in the weekend’s five year history is impressive, but for them to have been here three times – it’s just unheard of,” Wilkirson noted. “We believe they always add an element of magic to the festivities and can’t wait for their return late next month.”
FRF also has released the ZDDâ„¢ lineup for March 27-28, noting the “family friendly” weekend as follows:
Friday, March 27
– SPQÂ® Big Hat Brunch presented by Sal & Mookie’s — Buffet style brunch with house favorites. Awards given by area judges for best hat and best hat group. This is people watching at its best! — 11:00am. $21 advance or $26 at door — firstname.lastname@example.org.
– The Bluz Boys in Concert presented by First Commercial Bank, Ergon and UMMC — Electrifying rhythm & blues and sixties sweet soul music from the South’s Premier Show Band! Located in the middle of Duling Avenue on the Cirlot stage, this concert/dance party in the streets is free — 6:30pm to 9:30pm. Lawn chairs welcome, no coolers, please.
– The World-Famous Budweiser Clydesdales presented by Southern Beverage Company — the arrival of the majestic horse drawn hitch, in Fondren for a third time in five years! — 6pm-7pm. Duling Avenue.
Saturday, March 28
– Sal & Mookie’s Street Carnival — On the stadium green presented by Sal & Mookie’s. Annual event with all types of carnival fun, from games to a dunking booth and The Parents & Kids Magazine Fantasy Photo Booth ($5) to pizza and ice cream eating contests, this is good old-fashioned fun for the whole family — 10:00am-2:00pm — $2 arm band charge — some items extra.
– Fondren Jump Zone — located on Duling Green at the corner of Old Canton and Duling, these bounce house jumps will delight the kids while waiting on the parade to begin. This fun zone will delight the youngest of ages while adults secure their spots for parade watching. Free — 4:30pm to 6:30pm.
– Patty Peck Doo Dah Day Blue Car Giveaway — One lucky key holder of ten drawn in the weeks prior to the ZDD Weekend will win a 2015 Honda Civic! — at BancorpSouth, 6pm. (buy tickets here)
– Braveheart Honorary Flyover — Saluting our Bravehearts — service men and women, first responders, doctors and others who put the lives of others above their own — 6:40pm.
– BancorpSouth Zippity Doo DahÂ® Parade — Through the streets of Fondren. This year’s parade theme is “Bravehearts for Batson,” featuring grand marshal, Braveheart director and screenwriter, Randall Wallace, and celebrating the 20 year anniversary of Wallace’s movie. Enjoy the Murrah High School Band and, the JSU Sonic Boom, presented by Richard Schwartz & Associates. From trinkets to beads, golf cart floats and antique cars to Jill Conner Browne, THE Sweet Potato Queen and the Queen’s float. Starts at dusk (about 6:45pm). Free.
– ardenland presents the post parade show featuring Della Mae — Americana reminiscent of Avett Brothers, Punch Brothers, the Lumineers, and Hurray for the Riff Raff — Duling Hall. Doors 8:00pm / Show 9:00pm. $5 advance/$10 at door.